I’m cleaning out my $HOME/doc directory and I found this gem from ten years ago, when I was still a student searching for a new ISP. How things have changed – “what 56k modem standard are you favouring?”
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am currently in the process of searching for a new Internet service provider in the Toronto area. I thought it might be best if I simply listed my access and web page requirements, along with technical questions I wish to have answered, and you will follow up with a price range. I can be reached by e-mail at jdunn@[deleted]
Access Requirements: max. 30 hours per month, analog 28.8 kbps modem
Web Site Requirements:
- 5 megs server space
- CGI directory (very important)
- access and error logs available
- unrestricted transfer rate from outside clients
Technical and administrative questions:
- Do you support, or are you planning to upgrade to, 56 kbps modem technology, and if so, which standard are you favouring/planning on favouring?
- What is your users-to-modem ratio?
- How long have you been in business?
- How many subscribers do you have?
- Whose backbone are you hooked into? (e.g. sprintlink, CANet, ONet, etc.)
- What are your technical support hours?
- How many tech support staff do you have?
- What kind of servers do you run on? Do different servers serve up mail, ftp, http, or does one machine handle it all?
- Are there any discounts for students?
If you could answer my questions and give me a price quote on the above requested services, with a breakdown if certain things are extra (e.g. unlimited transfer rate), I would really appreciate it.